12 Aug UC Staff Club at IIam Homestead, Christchurch
Date: July – August 2012
Client: University of Canterbury
Engineer: Holmes Consulting Group
Main Contractor: Hawkins Construction Ltd
The original Ilam Homestead was first built in 1858 and was rebuilt in 1910 after being burnt down. In 1950 it was sold to Canterbury College and became the home of the Rector (Vice Chancellor) of Canterbury College. When the University moved from the city to the present Ilam site the Homestead was made available as premises for the Staff Club.
Following the Canterbury earthquake sequence of 2010-2011 the two level brick Homestead was strengthened to 100% NBS. As part of the strengthening programme a 60mm thick sprayed concrete overlay to 150m² of brick wall and 150m thick sprayed concrete overlay to 60m² of brick wall was applied using a proprietary dry-spray (gunite) mix. Application was through a Meynadier Piccola 3-phase air/electric machine and gunite walls were cut back to a wood float finish for later application of solid plaster architectural finishes.
The Staff Club expected to re-open in April 2013.