12 Nov Huddart Parker Building, Wellington
An historic building in central Wellington has been given a new lease of life with an $8 million structural, services and cosmetic refit.
The Huddart Parker Building, located in the heart of Jervois Quay, has been a distinctive city landmark since 1925, when it earned the title of being the largest reinforced-concrete building in New Zealand. Today it’s recognised for its bold, Chicago-style design, and with great harbour views, expansive floor spaces and a 3.7m stud height on the upper storeys, it’s well placed to become a premier business location.
The restoration programme aimed to refresh the building’s interior and lift its seismic strength rating from 29% to 100% of the new building standards. It also recognised the beauty of the exterior – so in an innovative approach, the elegant façade has been preserved with the installation of a concrete frame inside its walls, which absorbs and dissipates seismic energy. The building’s existing structure has also been strengthened: BBR Contech has installed FRP on the interior column joints, wrapping them completely to provide additional shear strength in case of earthquakes.
With the work now complete, new tenants are enjoying all the benefits of the seismic upgrade, as well as heating, ventilation and environmental features that incorporate the latest in design and safety techniques.